> Unfortunately, this is the case. Feel like writing a Java implementation?
:)
> I'm sure there are plenty of public-domain POP classes out there already.

Can you say "no utf-7 support"? With Sun not supporting unicode utf-7 it
seems to me that it's a poor choice for writing any sort of e-mail client
until the utf-7 encoding dies out... This I suspect will take a long time...

> OK, just to be clear, there is the "Date" header which is set by the
sending
> client. Then there are the "Received" headers which there is one of for
each
> "hop" that the mail takes. For instance, your message has 5:

Yes this is correct. Received headers are added by the SMTP servers that
relay the mail and as such their dates should be reliable. The DATE header
however is set by the client and should be the sent DateTime but invariably
thanks to spammers is usually hours, days or even years away from what would
be considered an accurate datetime value...

Also some mail clients don't format the date field correctly which is
inexcusable....

As you saw with the headers you pasted, after accounting for timezones, the
date time values are all within 6 minutes of each other. Allowing for server
load and mail delays, the times are what you would expect with regards to
normal e-mail delivery.

> Yes, the original emails are deleted. But I then send a few more test
ones,
> and they are all fetched with the "date" column being set to the time I
> last fetched/deleted.

This would be the date field so it should report the date/time that you SENT
your mails. If you sent them just after you deleted the other mails then
this sounds about right...

>> The POP3 daemon will only be responsible for adding a date to the
>> received header of your mail. If you check using a telnet session to
>> your POP account, you will see that the first received header you see
>> will be the one that was added to the mail by your SMTP service.
>
> Is this the "date" header or the "received" header?

This is the received header.

> I understand; if they would compile and run on Linux, I would be using
> them in a flash. These MM bugs are seriously holding up our development.

You know much about Kylix??? They *should* port with some work to them and a
port of the CFXAPI header to Kylix... Unfortunately, I don't have the time
at the moment... :(

Paul