From: Matt Wisdom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 11:46 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: CFMX 7 feature breakdown

Take a look at the feature breakdown in this marketing piece -- every single
feature listed is in the enterprise other than CFML support, OS support, and
basic DB support. If I'm not mistaken, I have CFML support in MX already. No
need to upgrade the standard version (unless you have a killer need for some
of the features not listed there).

http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/productinfo/product_editions/

It's quite clear from the breakdown of features that MM has written off the
"standard" edition market. I'd love to know the sales figures behind this
decision, but my guess is that the lower-end customer base has been
dramatically eroded by PHP and the "free" .net bundled with Windows Server.
I assume that the main CF customers remaining are the corporate customers
that have too much invested to switch or that can realize enough savings on
developer salaries to pay the higher dollars for enterprise.

>From this, I would expect a dramatic drop in the sales of upgrades from
Standard edition customers, and ultimately, a continued decline in the
developer base for CF as those customers move away from CF.

Perhaps MM's plan is to migrate enterprise features downwards in future
versions to alleviate this problem. We'll see, but going "higher end" when
your customer base and market share are eroding typically accelerates the
decline into obscurity.

Matt