Andy Ousterhout wrote:
> But I am getting the impression that router does not equal firewall.
> Routers do some things that a try firewall does, but not all.  Is this
> correct?

Correct.

The basic purpose of a router is to route traffic between
different IP subnets. For that, it looks at just one thing: the
destination IP address. Based on that IP address the packet is
forwarded on the right interface. This is strictly an OSI layer 3
issue, and usually big routers communicate with eachother using a
whole slew of protocols to know which IP address needs to go to
which interface.

The purpose of a firewall is to examine all traffic that tries to
pass and block traffic that does not meet certain criteria. For
this, firewalls look at many more parameters then just the IP
addresses. For instance:
- source / destination IP (3)
- SYN flags (3)
- transport protocol (4)
- source / destination port number (5)
- protocol (6)
- content (7)
Numbers refer to the layer in the OSI model:
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci523729,00.html

Nowadays, many routers have some or more of the features of
firewalls, going up in the OSI laters, and sometimes firewalls
have some of the features of routers.
Most routers can also filter traffic based on the transport
protocol or the port numbers. Most can also filter traffic based
on the SYN flags (but to do this statefull can cost quite a bit
performance). So routers are getting more firewall capabilities,
and if you look at high end routers (i.e. Cisco 6500) you can
even get dedicated firewall modules for them.
The high end firewalls can often do some tricks to direct traffic
as well. For instance, they function as load balancers and route
traffic to different servers.

The typical home appliance (Linksys etc.) can do stratic routing
(a group of fixed IP adresses on one side, everything else on the
other side), NAT, stateful filtering (it can distinguish between
links originating from the inside and from the outside) and
sometimes a little bit of static filtering (blocking specific
ranges of ports / IP addresses). The ones that are a bit higher
end can also do address filtering so you can filter out msn.com
for your children if you like (although I doubt it stops serious
attempts).
IMHO, for the home user that is enough. The security conscious
home user would probably configure an extra layer behind such a
device, but that layer can be very simple, i.e. some IPSec rules.

For professional use, the question is really what you need and
what you want to spend. If you get a Cisco 6500 you can add
firewall modules that can supposedly handle 5 Gbps each. It will
nicely filter on OSI layer 3-5 for you.
If you don't need that much throughput, a simple system running
Linux/BSD can do pretty much the same. (The aforementioned
Linksys probably runs Linux of some sorts.) If you want to filter
on protocol and content add a reverse proxy. If you choose the
Linux/BSD option you can run that on the same machine.
It is really up to your needs.

Jochem