----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Ousterhout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:52 PM
Subject: RE: Firewall question

>I think the most secure arrangement is to:
>
> 1.  Replace router with hardware Firewall Solution (adding VPN at same
> time
> ::-))

You might not necessarily be able to replace your router.  Depends a bit
on the actual connection.  For instance if you currently had a T1 and a
Cisco router with a T1 CSU/DSU module then you'll still need the router to
make T1 connection.  Similarly, with DSL, you need a router capable of
making the DSL connection.  That said, there _are_ combo boxes that can
terminate the connection, and act as router, firewall and VPN endpoint.

> 2.  Go from Firewall solution to NTServer running Firewall software

If your server is truly "behind" the firewall on an internal network, you
can dispense with running firewall software on the server itself.  There
probably aren't many shops running firewall software on things like file
and print servers on their LAN.

Only if the server is Internet-facing might you need to worry about this.
But while defense in depth is a good philosophy, it can sometimes be a
PITA to manage.  For instance if you add a new service on some odd IP port
then you need to open a hole through both your outer firewall and any
software firewall on the server itself.  Personally, if I thought I had a
reliable hardware firewall between my Internet-facing servers _and_ I
trusted my ability to administer the firewall then I wouldn't run a
software firewall on any of those servers.

> 3.  Go from NTServer to rest of internal network.

I'm not sure why you'd need to do this unless you need to use the server
as a router.

You probably should explain the nature of your connection and network a
little better.  Is it purely a web hosting network?  Or a company LAN -
with or without Internet-facing servers such as web and email servers?