From: Rick Faircloth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:05 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Comparing Remote & Local Documents for Incremental Back-ups?

Hi, All..

Using CF 4.5 (Don't even start...if the horse you own plows the field just
fine, keep using him...)
Windows 2000 Server

I'm considering building my own CF-Based Backup system
to allow my clients to backup their data to my server...via CFFTP, I
guess...at this point.

I'm not totally happy with the existing FTP solutions on the market,
such as Serv-U in combination with FTP Voyager...they're ok, but are
lacking some features I would really like to have, such as emailing me and
my client with a stats report when a backup job is completed,
failure/success, etc.,
and Serv-U/FTP Voyager lacks this capability.

With a CF-based system, I can at least do that...

But are there other inabilities that CF-based solutions will have that would
make such an endeavor fruitless?  (At this point, if new editions of CF make
such an application possible, we'll discuss a new horse...)

For example, does CF provide the capability to compare documents and
back up only those that have changes made to them?  (Is this back-up
function
typically a result of comparing "date-modified" info or is actual data
content
of files compared in typical backup systems?)

Another question...can CF work with Explicit SSL encryption or some other
type of secure data transmission?  Can it encrypt files that would be stored
on my server so that if someone who might hack my server got the info, they
couldn't read it?

Any other thoughts are welcomed on this issue...

Matt...I know that you use Serv-U and FTP Voyager for this type of stuff...
any reason why you haven't built a CF application to do this?

Thanks for any and all input...

Rick