I don't know what to tell you, Raymond, because my experience is completely
different.

In my testing, a simple form with, say, 4 text inputs plus a submit button will
take quite a bit to load (when it loads - it often requires a page refresh).

This is a serious issue, because non-technical people will get a blank screen
for twenty seconds or more and think that there something wrong with the page,
possibly leaving. I'd not mind the load time much if:

a. The "loading" graphic appeared immediately
b. The loading time were not over 5 seconds on a cable connection.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, because the flash forms are quite nice in looks and
apparent functionality.

Hopefully someone will eventually find one generated with Coldfusion 7...