From: John Paul Ashenfelter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:55 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: MySQL charging hard?

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:34:31 -0500, Rick Root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric Creese wrote:
> > Does not sound as if you Oracle tunned properly and being that you do not
> > have DBA on staff that can make it challenging. With it tunned properly it
> > runs great in my oppinion. Plus your applications may not be tunned
> > properly either. I also Run SQL2K and it has its benefits as well. Dabbled
> > little with MySql. Basically it comes down to what is best or the job and
> > what it is you are willing to support
>
> I don't doubt that Oracle can be very very fast.  I even went to a week
> long oracle performance tuning class (taught by an Oracle employee, at
> an Oracle facility in Reston), but it was all just way too complicated.

MySQL can also be *extremely* fast -- depending on how well you've
tuned it and your specific needs. One really great part of MySQL is
that each table can use a different handler, and the MyISAM tables are
*very* fast for indexed reads and many inserts. Since they are *not*
transaction safe, they don't have all the overhead of MS-SQL, Oracle,
PostgreSQL, etc when you don't need that overhead (data warehousing
for example).

I just rewrote the training materials for MySQL's week-long MySQL
intro course, which includes about 1.5 days on tuning. For many types
of web applications MySQL properly tuned can easily compete with
Oracle -- there's several presentations coming up at the MySQL Users
Conf in April on multi-terabyte MySQL database projects...

> I bet if we had a DBA on staff, we'd be sticking with Oracle =)

One thing about MS-SQL that's great is that it works really well *out
of the box*. MySQL and Oracle out of the box may or may not be tuned
properly. Simply enabling the query cache in MySQL 4.1+ can provide a
drastic improvement in applications that do a lot of repeated read
(blog, content delivery sites, catalogs) but you have to know about
it.

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint