On Feb 20, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Dave Watts wrote:

>> Just briefly (NA on my platform). I understand that it
>> includes quite a bit of metadata.
>
> You might want to try using CFMX 7 on a supported platform, then.
> Seriously
> - it's nice that you can use OS X personally, but if you're developing
> and
> selling CFMX solutions to others, you should be able to take advantage
> of
> the features you get out of the box on any supported platform.

Ah, but I don't do that anymore... I am retired & I just diddle (some
say meddle) for my own use and for friends and family.

Some of my OT and SOT posts are out there, I know.  But, it is a way to
present ideas, gauge interest, and maybe give something back to a
community that has been a great assist to me, personally.

> Now, to be perfectly honest, I hadn't read through the whole thread
> when I
> got to your post, so I don't know if Verity would let you access IPTC
> metadata.

As I read the docs, it does... but the originator was on BD & Linux...

>> Unless I misunderstand, though, You still must create
>> collections and periodically recreate them, periodically, to
>> bring the collection in synch with the files. (and the Verity
>> search is NA while this is being done).
>
> You can add items to an index on a per-item basis, if you want to.
> That's
> always been true, actually, as far as I can remember.

It has been about 4 or 5 years since I wrote an app using Verity.  I
imagine it is quite different, today.

If you were indexing HTML pages, you would need to recreate the entire
collection.  I suppose you could have written a program these pages
individually, extract the relevant data, and update the appropriate
index... don't think that would have been practical, at the time.

Dick