> Any suggestions concerning this approach?  I'm setting up a
> new server, so I'm trying to make sure I start down the right
> path and don't have to backtrack halfway through the setup of
> all the sites...

Why not just create the virtual server before you do any development? That's
no more difficult than creating a virtual directory, really. If you want
others to view the virtual server, you can either bind it to a separate IP
socket (either using a different IP address or port) or use Host headers to
get to the virtual server. If you use Host headers, you'll need to be able
to create DNS records as needed, or have people add the appropriate
information to their hosts file.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/