We do this all the time by setting up host names in DNS under our own
domain name.  For example

nicksbakery.ourdomain.com
bobstire.ourdomain.com

If you know how to set up the virtual web sites in IIS using host headers,
then what you may be missing is the need to configure the DNS.  We manage
our own DNS, so it's pretty simple.  If you don't have direct access to
the DNS for your domain this could be more trouble than its worth to have
your ISP do it for you.  But your could have whoever does your domain's
DNS delegate a zone to a DNS server that you could run on your development
server exclusively for these development host names.  Have them delegate a
sub-zone to your DNS server.  For instance

dev.ourdomain.com

Then you can manage the dev.ourdomain.com zone and create host names below
that:

nicksbakery.dev.ourdomain.com
bobstire.dev.ourdomain.com

Alternately, you could register a domain name just for development
purposes and run the DNS on your development server.