> I think the implicit point is that memory (e.g. application scope) is
> faster than I/O from the disk (e.g a file) -- and considering that
> *read* would be the far more frequent step than *write*, anything in
> memory should be faster.

I agree if you're using cffile or using cfinclude or the like. What I'm
talking about is writing static files such as an html article. You only
write and update the file in your admin. Unless you have a herd of people
working on the file at once than there are few I/O processes that need to be
done.

> While I'm not advocating it, running purely with database queries
> makes nearly as much sense (at least, up to a point) -- since both
> ColdFusion and the database are caching the disk-based data into
> memory. Using included files and having Apache/etc do the caching is
> analogous. In both cases, the servers are going to try and minimize
> disk i/o,  so you'll end up with data in memory most of the time
> anyhow.

This is all fine except for large applications with many articles. For
example I have an Intranet for lawyers that has 600,000 articles. There is
no way I'm going to query the db every time one of those articles are
accessed. First because they are long-winded and second because they are
accessed frequently.

> This thread is really turning into a discussion about the basic
> tradeoff of relying on generic algorithms provided by the software
> stack to optimize the amount of data in memory vs specific tuning and
> optimization steps that are application specific...

Agreed, it's a nice discussion to have every once and awhile.