From: Fred T. Sanders [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 8:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT: Java Script Question

Courtney,

I hope your not suggesting they run a query of usernames and passwords, or
even just the user names for that matter.  They would be viewable in source.
You might say "well its just usernames big deal".  Okay I've now got a list
of user names I know are on the system, I fire up my Shadow HackNCrack
program, give it my nifty new list of usernames and point it to one of the
many dictionairy files I have for passwords and use the http crack module
and brute force the website.  NOT only do I have a high degree of certainty
that I'll eventually get in,  I'm now generating 10s of 1000s of hits on the
server draining resources from use by others gaining the added benefit of
hacking your site AND performing a very mild DOS attack as after effect
there by slowing down the rest of the site for others, even if only by a
small degree.

Disclaimer:  I uhh don't have any of the above mentioned dictionary files
and would never dream of doing the above mentioned techniques to anything
but my own boxes.  The names of software mentioned above was not changed, he
lives in a foreign company and could probably use the business, although I'm
not going to give a link to their site, even though the software is only $25
American for the "Shadow Advanced Network Tools", the "Shadow Advanced Local
Tools" and the "Shadow HackandCrack" software suite.  I also won't mention
their Shadow Security Scanner either, which just went up to $100.

The point is security is ALWAYS and issue, because as much as we'd all like
to believe there really is no such thing as security, no matter how much
we'd like to believe there is, but that's not an excuse to make it easy for
them.

Fred