I think the issue is that they are being done in a asynchronous,
single threaded fashion. By that, I mean your code is looping over
each email to be sent, one by one. This probably means a full cycle of
connecting to the SMTP service, HELO'ing, killing sockets etc.

You need to find a replacement (Javamail?) which will let you do it in
either a multi-threaded fashion, or in a proper spooled fashion.

E.g. At the moment, its executing like:

<connect>
        <send 1 email>
</connect>

<connect>
        <send 1 email>
</connect>

<connect>
        <send 1 email>
</connect>

You need it to be doing:

<connect>
        <send 1 email>
        <send 1 email>
        <send 1 email>
        <send 1 email>
</connect>

How to do it, I'm not 100% sure. :) In fact, I'm not even sure that
the behaviour above is correct. It's mostly assumptions. Anyone from
MM or with bulk mailing experience know?

Regards,

Jon