I have a couple of applications where I want to update two database
servers simultaneously.  I have just set up a datasource for each
server on my CFserver, and run the update query twice - once with each
datasource name.  No need for connect strings.

It breaks if the remote server isnt available for any reason, you have
to surround the CFQuery with Try/Catch blocks, and have some erro
handling, but as long as both servers are accessible at the instant
you execute the page, there's no problem at all.  The CFServer doesn't
care where the database server is, as long as it can connect to it.

If I understand it right, you only need to have connect strings if the
database name is dynamic.   I dont know much about them because I've
never needed to use  them.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month