From: Claude Schneegans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 10:39 AM
To: CF-Talk <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone used these tools?

>> I would also suggest that when the new site is being made that it is
modeled for compliant browsers first then add the necessary tweaks for
IE, seems to make things a lot easier

Depends...
Personally, I'm using an MSIE emulator for FF. (see
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/ieemu/ )
MSIE has very convenient features missing in the standard.
Thanks to __defineSetter__ and __defineGetter__ methods, one can define
new properties in Mozilla equvalent
to the MSIE properties.
Sticking to the standard is very nice, in theory, the problem is when
the standard is dumb, you restrict yourself
to dumb functionalities.

Just an example, the width, top, left etc. properties contain strings
(ie. "100px"), not really convenient for calculations in a program.
MSIE has added the pixelWidth, pixelTop, pixelLeft etc properties, that
contain integer values that you don't have to parse.
For instance the following declaration in Mozilla creates a pixelWidth
property in Mozilla.
You don't even have to test for the browser in the code.
CSSStyleDeclaration.prototype.__defineGetter__("pixelWidth", function() {
return parseInt(this.width) || 0;
});

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;