> overall Amazon still wouldn't be considered a success.

Dismissing the business decisions which account for Amazon's deficit, which
are way off topic and not necessarily a sign of an unhealthy or unsuccessful
business, Amazon is quite successful when it comes to the principles of
ecommerce.  They know how to make the process work for their customers.

My point is simply that we can learn from the success and mistakes of bigger
fish.  I don't think their implementation is perfect, nor even ideal
depending on the site and what it's selling, but I would rather take the
results of their extensive usability tests over my personal opinion or the
perspectives of a few other people with online experiences very similar to
mine.

In the end if you want to be more sure you're doing the right thing, run
your own usability tests.  Bribe some teenyboppers with a t-shirt and have
them use two versions of your checkout process without asking specifically
about the registration requirement.