I've been tinking around with flash forms over the last few days in my
dev CFMX7 environment.   I really like some of the cool controls, for
example the CFGRID that works (unlike the earlier java one that
didnt), and i like that you can just click on a column heading and it
sorts the data by that criterion.  I like the calendar control.
Really cool.   And I like the way that the new CFML tags that
implement it mean I dont have to stick my fingers into the piranha
tank to play with flash. (that's what it always feels like to me,
touching anythng to do with flash  I always get bitten)

What I dont like is that the look of the controls is soo awful.
Insipid grey colours, blurred edges of things so they can ruin the
look of a crisp and clean looking site.  Have I missed something or
can you change the way the buttons and fields look?

I dont like the fact that the controls dont meet the basics of
accessibility.  I've put a lot of effort into learning about
accessibility, and for example the user can't change font size.  You
get a page with nice crisp clear text in the size you like, until you
get to a flash form and then the text is minute, grey not black, fuzzy
not crisp, and browsing users cant change it to suit their own needs,
as the rest of the web does.

I dont like the fact that we are now so used to using the wheel, and
its been some years now since the wheel came out, yet flash still
doesnt support it.   While I thought the wheel was a novel little
nick-nack when it first came out, after all this time it's become as
integral to using the computer as the right button.   I always use the
wheel to scroll up and down pages,  except within flash controls.   I
cant imagine why Macromedia hasnt realised that the mouse wheel is
here to stay and its an integral part of PC computing.

And I dont like the long time it takes to load a flash form.  Lately
my html forms have been trimmed down, simplified code, using CSS to
handle layout and styling.  They load in a flash (pun intended)   They
can load twice in the time the flash form is still busy showing the
tricky little 'loading progress' control.

Or am I being too critical here?

--
Cheers
Mike Kear