> I heard something about a MS-SQL Server tuning tool that monitors the
> activity on a database and then suggests what indexes on the tables
> might improve performance.
>
> Am I hallucinating or is such a thing available?

Gonzo,

You're referring to the combination of creating a trace in SQL Profiler and
then analyzing that trace in Index Tuning Wizard, but you have to be careful
or the results you get will only make things worst in some cases.  It looks
so simple that it's all too easy to disregard the underlying concepts
required to create a proper trace in the first place.

I could write an entire book just on the right way to do this, but I'll try
to give a few top-level pointers:

1) Make sure you are tracing while the database contains a production-scale
set of data, not some dinky sample data set.  This is the biggest mistake
people make, and it leads to tuning corrections that often make the database
a worst performer than it was before the tuning.  One reason for this is
that small data sets usually lead to full table scans rather than engaging
indexes, so the metrics you trace are entirely reverse of what they would be
in production.

2) Trace while under a true heterogeneous (does many different seemingly
unrelated things) load, driven by a realistic set of control data.  For this
you'll want a top-end load testing tool like e-TEST Suite from Empirix (what
we use), but these tools are very expensive.  The free alternatives out
there can't handle this without a huge amount of programming.  If you don't
do this, then all your locking statistics will be completely off.

3) Most importantly, make sure your database is designed properly.  Most
people assume theirs are, but there are often many mistakes in them that
will prevent any real optimization.

I hope this helps some.  If you need some telephone help on this then feel
free to call me at 770-446-8866 and I'll do what I can to help you.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Member of Team Macromedia
http://www.ProductivityEnhancement.com

Download Plum and other cool development tools,
and get advanced intensive Master-level training:

* C# & ASP.NET for ColdFusion Developers
* ColdFusion MX Master Class
* Advanced Development with CFMX and SQL Server 2000