> I think a lot of people in the CF community would agree that
> there are quite a few non-programmers in this community.

Writing CF is programming. While there may be many people whose first
programming experience is with CF, once they start building applications
they are programmers. Whether they are competent or not is another question.

> I'd sure hope so - that's exactly what I was saying. They can
> learn to be competent. You've confirmed exactly what I said.

Unfortunately, that is not what you said. Here's what you said:

"Stuff like that is not within the reach of the average programmer. Sorry,
but that's a fact of life."

I disagree with that.

> Which is exactly what I'm saying: you use protected or even
> private programmers to build this stuff and then public
> programmers to maintain it.

However, my point was that these "public" programmers, once they learned the
technology, could then use it not just to make minor modifications, but to
extend the application or even build a similar application from scratch! We
had plenty of people who, once exposed to the concepts, understood them
fully and could use them.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/