It depends really.

I pride myself on being able to "do this stuff" - but the goal at first
isn't to do the app, it's to build the components of it.

Nueromancer is a good example as is the JSGatewayAPI and others: once you
have abstractions of the tools required putting the rest together isn't all
that hard.

So, yes, building the APIs are "rocket science", but once they're out there
and available we start building up steam.

Jim Davis