But Will...

JS is client-side, and CF is server-side...

The whole universe could convert to CF (and I'd probably be out of a
job!) and we'd still need JS or something like it (unless, with the
mass conversion, MM created a CF-based browser that could use CF
client-side too).

JS is a C++ or Java-like client side language for interacting with the
DOM (Document Object Model) on the client-side. The DOM is a
particular way of looking at browser-based documents, and recognizes
all the HTML elements and a few other widgets and gizmos (like the
Window object or the Alert object, or the Opener reference) as
"objects" that comprise "documents" that comprise the contents of
"windows" within a "navigator" object (although the navigator may be
pasee by now).

With JavaScript, you can create functions, and even instantiate
objects... you can use the event attributes of some objects (like the
onClick method of a link or a button) to trigger those functions. Once
you get a handle on some objects and their methods and properties,
writing complex client-side code for anything from dynamic HTML to
complex form validation, is really not that terribly hard. It's just a
matter of learning some best-practices and the syntax of the language.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the JavaScript Bible by Goodman & Morrison, and
I'd recommend that you do the examples. It's one of the few such books
that makes both an excellent tutorial AND reference resource.

Laterz,