> But there *must* be quite a few of us that don't like JS,
> don't take the time to write it ourselves because it takes
> much longer than writing:
>
> <cfinput name="search" type="text" required="yes"
> message="Please enter a search term">
>
> I use that one all the time.  lol....

In exchange for having CF write JavaScript for you, you have to cede control
over exactly how that JavaScript will act. How about if you want to show a
hidden div instead of an alert box? How about if you want to set focus back
on the form field with the bad data, when the user tabs out of the field? If
you want to be able to make it do exactly what you want it to do, you have
to be able to write the code yourself.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/