Oh, certainly you're right, because various pages in my clients
sites show up in the rankings...not just the index or home page.
However, those other pages appear in the rankings when they
actually have more relevant keywords/phrases searched for than
the index or home page.

I have one Real Estate broker who also sells insurance.  When insurance
is search for, the insurance page shows up in the rankings, but not
the index or homepage...and that's the way I think it should be.

The pages of the site seem to be ranked individually, rather than the
site as a whole...again, which is the way I think it should be.  I would
hate to have to try to get all the keywords/phrases I need for some
of the larger sites on the homepage!

> If you were to have a sitemap and it spiders that page and you *hide*
> that link from a user (by color if need be) then in fact you achieve
> the same results.

But I wouldn't want a page like that on the site...it would appear to the
viewer that the page had no content...that's as bad as some of the
gateway pages I've seen.  The copy is terrible for the human visitor,
but great for the bot...

Rick