> Hi,

> Is there a way to find out how many recordsets return by a
> stored procedure?  Or is there a way to merge all the
> recordsets in a stored procedure so that it would only
> return 1 recordset?

> I have a stored procedure that would return an unknown
> number of recordsets depending on how many records we have
> in the database, but each recordset will have the same
> number of columns and column names.  I need to know the
> number of recorsets it will return so I can do a loop for
> the cfprocresult.

> Johnny

JDBC may privde some reporting of this information... I don't remember
off the top of my head, but the onTap framework has a tag designed to
execute stored procedures with named parameters (uses a structure,
i.e. the form scope for instance). I know it's designed to allow
multiple result sets, although unfortunately I don't remember offhand
if the automation is driven by the code or by meta-data returned from
the database. If you're interested in going that route, check out my
JDBC article in the ColdFusion Developer's Journal.

http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45569&de=1

Otherwise, if you have control over the stored procedure, I'd
recommend rewriting it so that all of the recordsets are returned
(regardless of conditions) with any unneeded recordsets simply being
empty (a select statement which returns records where the table's
primary key is null is an easy way to achieve this). If you need to
distinguish these results from results which would otherwise return an
empty recordset, you can return an output parameter from the procedure
with an integer indicating the number of relevant recordsets.

hth

s. isaac dealey   954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with