I'd think "importance" would be subjective as to who was looking at
it.  I personally try to always do it like this:

<cfset Photos = Variables.Photos + 1 />

But I got into the habbit of putting in Variables due to working with
inherited code that lacks much of any scoping.  So I'd maybe come
across a page with references to Photos but have no idea if they were
expecting it to come in via the URL, FORM, or whatever.  In some
really rare cases they might have had:

<cfparam name="Photos" default="0" />

But I'd still not have any idea where they were expecting it to come
from with that.

All your CFPARAM is doing before the set is making Photos if it did
not already exist and setting it to 0.  What happens if it is passed
in with a non-numeric value ...