> We have a shared file server that runs an application. All users have
> the same drive letter mapped, etc. The application is as follows:
>
> My understanding is that CFEXECUTE runs a process ON THE SERVER and
> therefore is not appropriate for what I am trying to do.

Exactly right.

> When I simply place an href link on my page, I get the security
> warning
> about the risks of opening executables, etc. I understand WHY that
> message appears, but is there a way to avoid that message?

In IE, at least, you can really only avoid this message by adding your site to
the "Trusted" zone (and even then I'm not sure if it'll do it with SP2
installed).

> Also, when I follow the link from the cfm page, I get a FoxPro (the
> exe
> is a FoxPro application) that says "File Security.exe does not exist".

What is the link you're using?  It should look something like this:

file://c:/shareddrive/program.exe

> Finally, what are the chances that I can execute a process that places
> shortcut on the end users desktop when they click a button on my
> website? Something like "Click here to add a shortcut to
> g:\applications\program.exe onto your desktop"...

Very good - if you are willing to get another security message.  You can use
Windows Scripting Host to do this (either via an HTA application or a JS/VBS
script - but the HTA might be simpler).

Do a search on MSDN.microsoft.com for HTA or WSH.

Jim Davis