JRun has a cluster manager service.  When a server is offline or stops
responding to requests, it's dropped from the cluster.  If you attempt
to access something in the session scope and the server is unable to
access the session, it fails over to the other cluster member... but
only if you have fail over turned on (which you should). For the most
part, nothing much short of a crash, stop, or restart will remove an
instance from the cluster as far as I know.  This is one of the reasons
you balance the instances.  When it is restarted or started for the
first time, the cluster manager adds it to the cluster for you.

~Simon

Simon Horwith
CIO, AboutWeb - http://www.aboutweb.com
Editor-in-Chief, ColdFusion Developers Journal
Member of Team Macromedia
Macromedia Certified Master Instructor
Blog - http://www.horwith.com