Is your unwillingness to pay a subscription based on the fact that
> you feel like you don't benefit from the list? Or that you give more
> to the list than you take?

 I do not feel I benifit enough from this list to warrant paying to be on
it. Matter of fact I am not 100% sure I have benifited from this list in
quite sometime. I know the last couple of questions I posted I never got a
complete answer from the list, and if I was paying to be on this list then I
would start to get irritated if the answers were no better than I could get
elsewhere or if they were lesser which is the case at times.
 What exactly would someone be paying for? Are they just paying to be on a
list because someone has a dedicated connection to the internet and setup a
list manager on it? Are they paying because gurus are paid to be on the list
and offer help to anyone? Are they paying because gurus are allowed on for
free?
 Charging at this point in time would simply encourage others to start their
own lists and would "de-centralize" the user base.

I can understand someone's reluctance to pay if really all they do
> is give answers to others and don't get answers to questions. But
> if you ever get answers you really need why wouldn't you be willing
> to help pay for the work that's done to bring you those answers?

And if there are so many other resources that are as good as this one,
> then why participate in this one? I would have to cut something out...
> takes too long to go through all the mail!

 I do not go through all my email, I participate in many mailing lists and
forums though. Sometimes asking questions, sometimes reading or sometimes
just as a subscriber.

And...for info's sake...what other resources can you point out that
> I could use that are as rich with information, convenient, and have such
> good participation?

 As an example, I asked a question on here about CFLDAP and the problems we
were having with it. I did not get much response from this list, I asked the
same question in IRC and got a very good response(I still have no solution
though other than going back to CF5). Then there are existing contacts I
have made over the years. I have numerous people I stay in touch with in IMs
and emails. Local CFUGs usually have mailing lists that while maybe are not
high trafficed they do tend to have highly skilled people on them willing to
help. My primary contract is at a company that has an internal CF mailing
list full of people willing to help.