I did in the past implement something like you said about putting a flag in the
DB whenever  a user logs in and not allowing further logins unless there is
first a log off. The problems that came up was that quite a few people were on
dial up and when they lost the connection and logged in again they were flagged
and not allowed entry which created customer service headaches. And some users
lose connections sometimes 3-4 times in a row.