From: Dave Merrill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:26 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Basic web interface question

It's not like I haven't done this before, in various ways, but I might
as well ask as long as I'm rethinking life...

Say you have the very normal situation with search screen leading to a
list of records, drill in to edit or create one. Where do you take the
user when they save an edited record?

- Back to the record list, with their previous search criteria still in
place? That seems most intuitive, but it means hanging on to those
search criteria while editing, which is potentially a multiple-screen
wizard-like thing. Not impossible by any means, but an architectural
commitment, if you're thinking generically.

- Another way to manage a similar net effect would be to open the edit
screen in a new window, and have it close and refresh the list window
when done. That's what I've often done, but some users find the new
window thing confusing, particularly if it comes up maximized and they
don't even realize it's a new window.

- Back to the search screen? Kind of annoying if it didn't remember
their search criteria, so see above.

- Back to the record list, but with only that one record showing? Not
particularly functional.

Other ideas?

Dave Merrill