> I think they will continue to push it in one way or another
> because it is just to important to cancel.
>
> If users actually use Web Accellerator, Google has an even better
> indicator of page quality then the number of links to it: the
> number of hits and the time spend on a page. That is criucial
> information for a Trustrank. And if they become the domnant
> technology for that, they can hide a significant number of hits
> for the competition.
>
> If they can get end users to put pressure on webstes to adhere to
> standards better that is also a minor boost for their search
> engine business: the better the HTTP implementation of a website,
> the easier to spider.
>
> It may be a very long Beta, even for Google standards, but Google
> Web Accelerator is here to stay.

If it ends up really being that important, it will be too important for
competitors such as Microsoft to ignore. Since Microsoft controls browser
distribution, they are ideally placed to implement something like this in a
way that best benefits them.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/