>> Yeah, it is... I personally don't think it's a good
>> thing, but I can
>> certainly understand the motivations of people who attack
>> open source
>> projects. I would think they'd have to fall into two
>> categories -- the
>> first being the same sort of motivations that drive some
>> teenagers to
>> pull the wings off of flies (or write viruses) and the
>> second being
>> people who are threatened by the project. I would venture
>> a guess that
>> the attacks probably originated with someone who owns or
>> works for a
>> company producing a competing commercial product and
>> who's seen their
>> paying customers dropping their product in favor of this
>> free
>> alternative.

> Not that I really know anything, but I'd be surprised if
> any company felt
> that threatened, and if they did, thought that snipes like
> this would have
> much effect in the long run. IMO the random vandals theory
> is much more
> likely.

> Dave Merrill

You may be right, although I'd expect it would depend on the size of
the company as well... it could be a lone developer who's built his
whole career around a particular product only to see his sole source
of income rapidly eroded by an open source project. May not be as
likely -- but then there are plenty of lone developers who fit that
description (of course, we hope most of them channel their energies
more constructively).

s. isaac dealey     954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with