I spoke too soon, Kerry.  It didn't work.  The toString() function seems to
work properly when you create the file for the first time, but when you access
an existing xml file and modify it with the xmlElemNew() and other xml
functions, then the output is just one long string.

Also some of you missed my point, I am trying to format it so it would look
readable when I modify it in Dreamweaver or CFEclipse.  I don't have problem
viewing it in IE or on a web page.  So I don't see how XSLT can play a role
here.

Johnny

> Yes, I do have the need for that.  That is why I asked.  I
> auto-generate the circuit.xml files, but I want other developers to be
> able to manually edit them if needed without any difficulty.
>
> Kerry, your suggestion seems to do the trick.  Thank you.
>
> Johnny
>
> >> Is there a way to format the xml string before writing back
> >> to the file?  The problem I have is when I use
> >> toString(xmlObject) to convert the xml object to string to
> >> write to a file, it becomes one long ugly string.  Is there
> >> an easy to format it with indentation and all?
> >
> >I would strongly recommend that you not attempt to format the XML
> string.
> >There's no need to do that.
> >
> >Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
> >http://www.figleaf.com/
> >
> >Fig Leaf Software provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
> >instruction at our training centers in Washington DC, Atlanta,
> >Chicago, Baltimore, Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.
> >Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more
information!