On 5/31/05, Dave Merrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MySQL is free, but otherwise it's a pretty inferior option to MSSQL IMO, in
> features, scalability, ease of admin etc. Many of the MySQL features that
> bring it anywhere near the same level of functionality are brand new, FWIW.

This is just wrong. I've been a MS-SQL DBA responsible for 28
processors of MS-SQL and I've built dozens of web apps on MS-SQL *and*
MySQL so I'm definitely familiar with both. Though in all fairness, I
do some work for MySQL and speak about it frequently :)

MySQL has been missing views and storedprocs for years. And it's
managment tools have been more akin to MS's osql and isql commandline
utilities. Both fair points. But pretty inferior? No way.

The standard demonstration of MySQL's competitiveness with MS-SQL is
the well-know eWeek article
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,103972,00.asp) shows that MySQL
(4.0 in the tests) paced Oracle and simply kicked the butt of
everything else, with MS-SQL coming in at the bottom. There are
certainly some criticisms that can be level at this test, but it's
still the only completely transparent (in the sense of code is
available, tests were specified, etc) and somewhat independent that's
publically availble that I've seen.

There are plenty of other real-world examples, especially in the data
warehousing world. MySQL scales to dozens of processors on big iron
(SGI Irix for example, AS/400, etc). The network storage engine brings
distributed, in-memory redundant databases to the table. And if you
need to internationalize your application, there is simply no
competition with MySQL as far as support of mutliple character sets
and collations at the *column* level.

A few other useful features that trump MS-SQL for many applications --
per-table table handlers (don't need transactions on a table? use
MyISAM). Brain-dead simple to run the memory cache. Full and early
support of 64-bit processors (makes it easier to throw memory at the
memory cache -- run your whole DB in memory if you want). Very
high-performance JDBC drivers (one *glaring* deficiency of MS, though
the open source jTS driver seems pretty good) which is especially
important to CF (though the Merant drivers seem ok). That's just for
starters.

Interestingly now that views and stored procs are in MySQL (5.0
branch, beta as of now) they actually are doing a better job of
meeting the ANSI SQL 2003 standard since they don't have to worry
about backwards compatibility (ironic, huh)? Stored procs still have
performance problems since they're basically 1.0 as you suggest, same
with views to a lesser extent.

And if you happen to get a knowledgable DBA, MySQL has *far* more ways
to improve performance than MS-SQL (2000 at least) which can boost
performance even more.

So "pretty inferior option" just doesn't hold water.

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint