> The GUI for IIS really turns me off, since I feel like I have
> far less control over the server and its capacities than when
> I can go in and edit httpd.conf directly.

If you're using IIS 5 or higher, you can manage most IIS functionality using
Windows Script Host. IIS comes with a bunch of WSH sample scripts. If you're
using IIS 6, you can edit the Metabase directly, as it's just a big XML
document.

> And for the hardcore, there's always the MySQL command line,
> which I would frequently kill -- or at least maim -- to have
> in MS-SQL Server.

No need to draw blood, just use osql.exe. It's been in SQL Server for quite
some time. You can connect directly to a remote server if it's accessible,
or you can use a remote console to run osql. If you just want a remote
command line, there are plenty of ways to run telnet or ssh on a Windows
machine - my favorite is a third-party product called VShell from Van Dyke.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/