>> if you need more power in php whatcha gunna do?
I've literally yet to find anything I couldn't do with stock PHP. If I did,
theres always this... a lovely little API that they embrace you to use when
everything goes south. http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/zend.php

>>And who is php backed by again?? oh yeah "we the people"
Well, like MySQL, PHP is actually overseen by ZEND, a company created by 2
of the Senior Developers. They choose to help support it and provide extra
utilities to make their money.

I can agree with you that the community has bloated PHP, and even agree that
its a faster development tool. But aside from that, its pretty well neck in
neck... and thats good for both languages. Competition breeds innovation.

Sincerely,

Kevin