I'd suggest keeping gateways with objects or purposes, having a site-wide
one will certainly tend to grow to immense porpotions. This from a bad
experience following me around where I work. Also, IMHO, stay away from
application scoped cfc instances unless you really really need them. They
are a PITA when you need to update the code, most notably when you are in a
clustered environment.

DK