Not sure if this is part of the problem, I am on a mac so I cant test
your IE scenario.

But the link you sent is for your personal domain.  And when i add the
products I am sent to another domain for the ssl.  Your session is
bound to your cookie and your cookie is bound to your domain.  So if
your domain switches mid stream then your session wont be available.

This problem is most obvious when users visit your site using
"domain.com" and then add thier stuff to the cart and then checkout.
But in most cases folks buy the ssl cert for "www.domain.com" and the
link to checkout forces users to "https://www.domain.com"; and even the
switch from domain.com to www.domain.com sets different sessions.

like i said this may not be part of your problem, but Ithought I would
see if i could help.

Talk to you later

simeon