> And by the way - I can code a site in the Fusebox style
> faster than you can code it straight any day of the week.
> And I know the other Fusebox coders would say the same.

There are two problems with your proposition.

1. Faster != better.
You may be able to code something faster, but that doesn't mean it's going
to perform as well as it could, or that it will be as maintainable as it
should. Interestingly enough, this morning I was analyzing a Fusebox
application, which seemed to follow the methodology pretty closely - yet it
wasn't constructed particularly well, and it took me as long to parse the
underlying logic as it generally does with the non-Fusebox applications I
review.

If your sole concern is development speed, then you're shortchanging your
clients, in my opinion. Most of the expense of a successful application is
maintenance, and that's where the primary focus of application development
should be - developing clear, optimized, documented code - minimizing the
cost and difficulty of maintenance.

2. Despite the ease of use of Fusebox, it will generally take someone longer
to follow a methodology (any methodology, for that matter) than to follow no
methodology. For instance, I'm acquainted with an incredible CF developer,
who I think of as a "stream-of-consciousness" coder. He'd be able to write
rings around you, simply because he can manage all of the salient details
within his head while he builds. On the other hand, referring back to point
1, I'd hate to maintain applications he creates - I'd need to be in his head
to do it right.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496