There are two big choices in Web development- Java and .NET. Everything else is
marginal in the corporate world, regardless of what the PHP folks say ;-).

...NET is the Microsoft camp, CFMX is part of the Java camp. That is the core
difference. Does your organization believe in MSFT apps and plan to be married
to MSFT for the long term?

With CF, you can use CFMX or Blue Dragon (even BD.NET). You can use whatever
Java platform you prefer and are willing to pay for/deal with. You can pick
from a variety of supported operating systems.

I believe either choice is a legitimate one, but the choice should reflect the
philosophy of the organization.

The third choice, of course, is to use both. That works best in big
organizations where they can hire sufficient staff to support both
technologies.