Technically, that's not the right comparison.

..NET vs Java makes more sense, as they are both comparable runtime
platforms with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I think you mean the difference between ASP.NET and ColdFusion.

It's not easy to compile a list of everything each platform can do that
the other can't, and I have no doubts that whatever you find will be
somewhat one-sided in either direction.

If you have enough time, you can build anything with either platform,
verity in .NET would be a real difficulty, as well as things like the
SMS gateway, and a lot of the shortcuts CF gives you (cfhttp, cffile,
cfftp, flash forms, cfchart, cfdump, cfreport, cfdocument, flash
remoting, omg, where to stop? ). On the other hand, you'd have to work
hard and write a fair amount of Java to do a lot of the things you are
forced to do in .NET, most of them relating to speed and not having to
go out of cf's box (more powerful io, image processing, integration with
windows, collections, buffered strings, .net remoting).

Most of the same arguments can be made for cf vs j2ee, as Java is every
bit as capable as .NET. Through the magic of createObject("java"), you
can do everything asp.net can do using java.

Once you start writing asp.net or jsp & servlets, it opens your mind to
more things you can do with the platform, like integrating java into CF,
finding easier solutions through external objects to some problems you
may have while using CF, and building desktop apps & utilities for site
management or whatever.

-nathan strutz