I should have qualified "look and feels" a little better, that's my bad.

The difference is that it happens server-side, not client side.  What
if one menu format happens to be JS dropdowns?  You could do it with
UL/LI elements and some messy JS (to parse the doc structure and
create the menus), but it'd be hellish to make that work in older
browsers that support pure-JS (i.e. the menu structure is defined in
JS) menus without issue.

To put it another way, CSS lets you format a defined document
structure, while XSL lets you convert one structure into another (not
necessarily XML) format.  Hence it can be used for far more things
than using CSS to format HTML can.

cheers,
barneyb

--