Actually I agree with that somewhat.
Having both client side and server side checks has it's purpose. It saves a
trip to the server for those that have not disabled JavaScript.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barney Boisvert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 August 2005 01:34
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: XML format for menus

> And why NS4 and not NS3, 2, 1?
> After all, you don't support CP/M, do you?

Because still see a significant enough amount of traffic with NS4 to justify
making our sites at least functional with the browser, even if they're not
as attractive overall as with a newer one.  Not the case for older versions.
Hell, we just had one of our clients switch from
NS4 to IE6 across their entire corporate network this year.  Yes, they were
using NS4 corporate-wide as recently as 4 months ago.  It's definitely not
dead.

> >>I absolutely agree this would be desirable, but it doesn't handle
> >>security properly (you don't want to do security client-side, so you
> >>need an abstract representation on teh server anyway)
>
> I do this with CF, intranet users never see options they are not
> allowed to, and even if they know the url and call it directly, they will
be kicked off.
> CF is perfectly capable of handling this.

So you render your HTML with everything, and then apply security
considerations with Javascript?  Not that it's not viable, but seems kind of
silly.  Why build all that machinery twice, since you have to have it on the
CF side regardless?

I suppose it doesn't really matter at all, each will do it his own way.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert