I rarely use web services, instead preferring to just use GET and POST
operations.  The XmlHttpRequest object was designed for fetching
remote XML, but it's really nothing more than an HttpRequest object,
and can be used as such.  There's some XML-related stuff, but at the
core is just simple HTTP.

If you're doing complex data passing, web services are very helpful,
particularly the ability to have multiple typed parameters and complex
data that is automatically marshalled/unmarshalled for you, but for
simpler stuff, GET and POST are more than adequate.  Web services also
have a fairly high spin-up cost for parsing the WSDL and making the
stubs and stuff.  Not a big deal if you have a single page UI that
does everything dynamically, but if you're still switching pages and
just doing dynamic things within those pages, that cost can be
prohibitive.

Since GET/POST don't require any of that, they don't have any
initialization cost except making an HTTP connection (something
browsers are good at), and are therefore ridiculously fast.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert