I don't know anything at all about JSON, so I can't comment.

But, I think WebORB does exactly the same thing for invoking Java objects,
..NET objects, web services, etc. as it does for CFCs; it converts the
complex types into something that's easily and consistently managed by your
JavaScript. You really should take a look at it.

Vince