Well, in my experience, getting mail into the inbox can be different depending
on the service of the receiver of the e-mail.

AOL:
Sign your server up for whitelisting at http://postmaster.aol.com.  If you're
on a shared server, you can't do this, though, so you'd need to be on a
dedicated server.  Once whitelisted, I've not had trouble getting AOL mail
through for several months now.

MSN & Hotmail:
Good luck.  I've never had any success getting MSN to offer a whitelisting.
Evidently, www.bondedsender.com has some deal with them, but it can be pricy if
you get ANY spam complaints at all (even false spam complaints).

Yahoo:
You can apply for 'delivery to the inbox' instead of in the bulk mail folder,
but I've never been successful in getting approved for this.  Do some searching
in their help section for the application.  They 'monitor' your mail for a few
days and then tell you what they think about it.  Bottom line is if you have a
large amount of mail coming out of your server to @yahoo.com addresses, you're
giong to end up in the bulk mail folder (unless the receiver has added you to
their safe sender list.

Other mail servers:

You can use the free tool at:

http://spamcheck.sitesell.com/

To check and see how many mail server filters generally will receive your
content.  This will help eliminate some blocking, but ultimately, you will end
up in junk mail & bulk mail folders if you're sending a large quantity of mail
from your server.

** One thing to keep in mind...most mail servers & providers base whether your
mail is classified as bulk mail based on the quantity of mail coming from your
SERVER, not your DOMAIN.  This is important to understand as if you're on a
shared server, or if you share your server with others, you might get classifed
as bulk because of their activities.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just what I can come up with from
memory.  Hope it helps.  I'm sure some others will have some comments here for
you too.

Oh, one more thing...plain text e-mails are most always more likely to be
delivered than HTML e-mails.  I send all my e-commerce 'receipt' e-mails in
plain text and then a 'welcome' e-mail in HTML nicely formatted separately.

Dave