> What I can't find is any mention of people actually making their
repositories available to other people. or how that happens.

Do you mean you actually want someone else (who has subversion installed) to
have a mirror of your repo or are just simply trying to give others the
ability to checkout projects? If that latter... just use svn://ipaddress in
a repo browser to checkout projects ( I cant recommend TortoiseSVN highly
enough.)

As for the stdout, you can avoid all the beeping and weird characters (and
probably get something that makes much more sense) if you pipe it to a file
when you run it