I think you just want to have the Subversion repository publicly
accessible with an anonymous account set up that only has read-only
access, right?  Commit access would still require authentication via
whatever means you have in place.  Highly recommend using the Apache
WebDAV plugin for that, since it lets you do all the authentication
with Apache, rather than Subversion, and Apache supports all kinds of
things, including client certificates and HTTPS for free.

And since Subversion lets you easily have multiple repositories within
a single tree, it's a snap to have run a few different repositories
and use them all at once.  One for your public stuff, one for private
stuff, one for client work, etc.  The only thing to watch out for is
projects that share resources, because Subversion has some limitations
with crossing repository boundaries in certain cases (copies, for
example).

cheers,
barneyb

--