This is definitely preferred, but it's not always possible.

With relatively simple infrastructural dependencies you can easily do this
(and should) but in some cases it's not an option.  In our case, for
example, access to the protected "bastion" tier( where the database servers
are maintained) is not allowed from workstations (or any "open" machine) -
only from the less protected development server tier (which can be accessed
by the workstations).

So while you can set the app up locally you can't actually get any data to
work with.

Jim Davis