How about requiring that <tip> and </tip> be on lines by themselves?
Or at least that <tip> has to be at the beginning on a line.  Then you
wouldn't have to worry about commented tips, and you probably should
ignore them anyway, because the original message would have gotten the
tip parsed out already.

Also, how about rewriting the <tip> tag with an id attribute when you
process it.  Then if you find the tip again with a matching ID, you
can check the contents against the DB and either ignore or update,
rather than inserting again.  That'd be helpful for typo correction
and/or evolving examples.

cheers,
barneyb

--